Supply chain interests are concerned that a march planned in opposition to President Cyril Ramaphosa could result in possible looting, arson, malicious damage to property, barricading of roads, clashes between protesters and police, as well as attacks on police stations and trucks.
According to information distributed between members of the Transit Assistance Group (Transist), Monday’s intended civil action in KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) is primarily to demand that Ramaphosa resigns.
However, the march is also intended to protest against the use of experimental Covid-19 vaccines, (the) conflict of factions within the ANC, and lack of free education, and to support the #BlackLivesMatter movement.
Participants are said to be the African National Congress, the ANC Youth League, the uMkhonto we Sizwe Military Veterans Association, the South African Communist Party, and the South African National Civic Organisation.
The march will proceed from the Durban City Hall in Anton Lembede Street in Durban Central, from where it will make its way to the KZN Provincial Office at 190 Stalwart Simelane Street in North Beach, Durban.
In additional but unconfirmed information, Transist warned that Monday’s protest action could spread across the country to the following areas:
- The N3 highway between Durban central and Harrismith.
- N2 between Mtubatuba and Scottburgh.
- Pietermaritzburg High Court, 301 Church Street/M70, Pietermaritzburg Central, Pietermaritzburg, KZN.
- Estcourt Correctional Centre, 2a McFarlane Street, Estcourt, KZN.
- Union Buildings, Government Avenue, Arcadia, Pretoria.
- Ghandi Square, New Street, Marshalltown, Johannesburg.
- ANC Provincial Office Gauteng, Walter Sisulu House, 94 Commissioner Street, Johannesburg Central.
- ANC Head Office, Luthuli House, 54 Pixley Ka Isaka Seme Street, Johannesburg Central, Johannesburg.
- Parliament of South Africa, 120 Plein Street, Cape Town Central.
- ANC Provincial Office Western Cape, 124 Adderley Street, Cape Town Central.
- ANC Provincial Office Limpopo, Frans Mohlala House, 78 Biccard Street, Polokwane Central.
- ANC Provincial Office Mpumalanga, corner of Nel and Brenda Streets, Sonheuwel Central, Mbombela, MPU.
- ANC Provincial Office Eastern Cape, James Arthur Calata House, 48 Alexandra Road/R346, King William’s Town.
- ANC Provincial Office Northern Cape, Amaqhawe Building, 42 Du Toitspan Road, Kimberley Central.
- ANC Provincial Office, North West, 5 Molopo Road, Golf View, Mahikeng.
- ANC Provincial Office Free State, Kaizer Sebothelo Building, corner of Charles and Fichardt Streets, Bloemfontein Central.